Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Chicken Casserole

This afternoon I decided to make a chicken casserole for supper.  It's one of the hubs favorites so I thought I'd be a sweetheart and whip one up for him.

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot you can do to skinny this up.  I mean, hello, Ritz crackers and butter y'all.  You can tweak a few things though to lighten it up a touch. ie... reduced fat crackers, light sour cream, 98% fat free soup, chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken.  However, completely clean it will never be.{sigh}

It took me a few tries before I got this dish exactly like I wanted it.  It was either too much chicken, not enough soup, or too many crackers.  My mother in law gave me her recipe and just like all the others, I'm pretty sure she's leaving out an ingredient or direction on purpose so I can't replicate hers exactly.  I NEVER get it right when I make one of her dishes.  Yeah, I'm on to you woman!


Chicken Casserole


3 boiled and shredded chicken breasts
3 cans 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
1 (8oz) container light sour cream
1/4 c chicken stock
2 sleeves of crushed reduced fat Ritz crackers
1 & 1/2 c melted butter

I use chicken breasts simply because it's quicker than messing with a whole chicken.  Bring your chicken to a boil and reduce heat and let cook for around 30 minutes or till it shreds easily.

Make sure to drag out that old 70's Corningware casserole dish cause, ya know, you're cool like that. 

Go ahead and mix your soup, sour cream, and chicken stock together until well blended.  I use the stock because you don't get much flavor when you boil chicken breasts.  Add your shredded chicken to your casserole dish then pour in your mixture and mix everything together.

Crush your crackers and top the dish.  Finish with the melted butter. Mmmmm. Butter.

Bake at 350* for 30 - 35 minutes.


All my recipes have a happy little home here in this Gooseberry Patch blank cookbook.  I bought this a few years ago for all my family recipes I've collected over the years.  So stinkin' cute!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...