Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Summer Squash Casserole


                                  


As we wistfully wave goodbye to summer and bid a fond farewell to our gardens I thought it would be nice to spotlight one of my favorite summer veggies, squash, to end the season.  I don't know about you, but we get so much squash coming in I'm always trying to figure out a new way to use it. 

We've had baked squash, fried squash, grilled squash, boiled squash, saute'd squash, and stir fried squash. Tell me you totally read that Bubba Gump style??

  My favorite way to eat it though?  Yep.  Squash casserole.  Anything that calls for loads of cheese and crushed crackers.....hey y'all....I'm all over that!

So I'm ready to usher in Fall after one last meal from the garden.....

There's really no way to make this look appetizing. 


What you'll need:


Ingredients:

3 cups cooked squash drained
1 lg onion chopped and cooked with squash
1 lb lean beef browned
1 can water chestnuts
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1 sleeve crushed saltines
2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese



Go ahead and slice and boil your squash and onion (I like my onion finely chopped) around 30 minutes or until tender.  Drain.

Brown your hamburger meat and drain.

                   
                   

Pam a 1970's casserole dish.....What?  That's not how you do it??.....and mix together squash, onion, hamburger, soup, and water chestnuts.





Cover with crushed crackers and cheese.  Add as little or as much as you like.




Bake at 350* for 30 - 35 minutes.




Dive in!



1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, my husband is a HUGE fan of squash, I might be able to get him to try this! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...