Thursday, September 12, 2013

Fall Favorite Hamburger Soup

I went by the bank to pick up our mega passes for the fair yesterday.  These passes get the kids in free and let them ride as much as they want for the low low price of $22.  Y'all know what it costs to ride those super glued death traps.  I mean, crazy right??  So, for sure, mama's gonna buy those mega deals! Anyway, I'm the kinda mom that'll let her kids ride and eat as much as they want till they get tired or throw up.  Usually throw up.  What?  That's not how you do it??

All that got me thinking about Fall.  I am so excited about Fall y'all!  It is my absolute favorite time of the year with Christmas coming in at a close second.  I say Christmas instead of Winter because on December 26th I'm over all that jazz, and by jazz I mean anything below 65 degrees and not flip flop weather.  Unfortunately, in Alabama the really cold stuff doesn't even get here till January.  Bite me, Jack Frost.

I love everything about this season.  I met the hubs in October of '95 which makes it sentimental.  I love college football, crunchy colorful leaves, and the cool crisp air.  Both the mastermind and the actress have birthdays in October and November.  We love Halloween and pumpkin patches!  I enjoy snuggling up with a Pumpkin Spice latte from Starbucks and watching orange throw up all over Pinterest.....and omigosh, the food!!  

So with all that going through my head I had to drag out my all time fave Fall recipe.  My Aunt Joyce's hamburger soup.  Mom got this recipe from her twenty plus years ago and we've been making it every year since.  I can't even tell you how much I love this stuff, but if I coulda put a ring on it I would have.

Fall Favorite Hamburger Soup



{hamburger too shy to be pictured or forgotten.  Whatever.}

My pepper looks like he's not feeling well, but he's fine.  He just knows what's about to go down.

(this is a double recipe!)
1 bell pepper
1 white onion
2 lbs lean hamburger
2 (15 oz) cans pork and beans
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (5.5 oz) tomato juice
1 can of Rotel
2 cans or (16 oz) water (more if you need to thin it up)
chili powder (to taste)
salt & pepper (to taste)
Tums


First, you need to dice your onion and pepper then saute' them in a little butter. (I never use quite a whole onion)




Brown and drain your hamburger meat.

Combine all the ingredients (except seasoning) in a large stock pot and add the onion/pepper mix and beef.  Stir well.  {if you need more water just add a little more in}

Now it's time for the salt, pepper, and chili powder.




Here's where it can get a little tricky.  Until this soup comes to a boil and simmers 30 minutes or so you aren't going to taste the full effect of the chili powder.  I like mine really spicy so I add a lot and I know when to stop.  You need to taste test every ten minutes or so.  Don't be afraid of it.  If you don't use enough it'll just taste like pork and beans and tomato juice.  Gag me.  If it needs more flavor add more spice, but until you figure out what's right for you go slow.  I may or may not have accidentally scarred the hubs esophageal lining the first time he tried it.  Baby.


Like I said, bring everything to a  boil then simmer for around thirty minutes.

While you're waiting, go wash that load of clothes you forgot to put in the dryer.  Again.  For the third time. 

 Now run get the kids from school before you forget.  Cause yeah, that's happened.  Just don't burn your house down cause, ya know, that would suck.

 We love our soup with crushed saltines on top!


FYI:  Hamburger soup is WAY better the next day after everything has blended together overnight!

Remember the Tums in the ingredient list?  Yeah.  You're gonna need that.


3 comments:

  1. Hello! This soup looks so yummy! Definitely going to try and make this, perfect for the cold months!

    http://thequirkydinosaur.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks so hearty that the whole family can enjoy,even my 16 month old! Must try to make this-thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like such a perfect fall soup! Pinned for later.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...